Saturday, May 3, 2008

One More Adventure!

Well the fun never ends. After getting to the Jacksonville airport on Friday, 6 hours before my flight home was to depart, I found out that my flight was going to be late taking off due to bad weather in Newark. That meant that I might not make my connecting flight in Houston that was to take me in to Seattle, where Dan would be waiting to take me home to my own bed. After discussing with the ticket agent at the gate my options (basically none!), I decided just to try to get into Houston and hope that my connecting flight would be late so that I could have time to get on it. Not to be. My flight from Jacksonville arrived in Houston at 9:03 and the flight out of Houston going to Settle left at 9:05. Even though I literally sprinted from one gate to the next, there was no way I could get on that flight, and no other flights going out to Seattle that night.

So, do I sleep in the airport or head for a hotel? That's when I met two delightful young ladies who were in the same predicament. We decided that the best option was to share a room, split the cost and catch the earliest flight to Seattle in the morning. So, we got an airport discount on a very nice room at the Sheraton hotel, caught a shuttle to the hotel and checked in with no luggage. I thought it was very funny that after sharing a room every night for 2 months with a different person, now I was sharing a room with two ladies I had never met before. We all hit it off just fine, and made the best of our mutual bad luck. After sleeping in our clothes, we got up and went to breakfast and then headed for the airport. Jena and Orlaith were wonderful room mates, and we all had an uneventful trip into Seattle.

It was wonderful having Dan greet me at the airport. He met me at the baggage claim area with a balloon bouquet with mylar balloons saying "Congratulations", and "You Did It". The funny part was that he also had some regular balloons that were looking quite droopy, barely floating above the floor. We had a good laugh when he told me that they had looked great last night--and had lost air during the night when I missed my flight! It was still a wonderful welcome home! Yeah! I get to sleep in my own bed tonight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
My daughter is Jena. I love the picture. She appreciated having the roommates, also, and had nothing but good things to say about her adventure in Houston. She has always found ways of making the best of an unfavorable situation, and once again she has done so. In March, she was coming to Columbus during our biggest snow storm of the last 30 years. Her flight from Charlotte, NC to Columbus, OH was cancelled. She managed to find 3 other stranded adults her age and drove all of them safely to Columbus. The stories she has accumulated from her young age of traveling is amazing.

Thanks again for your willingness to meet and care for these girls. Your love of life and the Lord shows on your blog. Jena was definitely impressed with you as an individual.

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
My daughter is Jena. I love the picture. She appreciated having the roommates, also, and had nothing but good things to say about her adventure in Houston. She has always found ways of making the best of an unfavorable situation, and once again she has done so. In March, she was coming to Columbus during our biggest snow storm of the last 30 years. Her flight from Charlotte, NC to Columbus was cancelled. She managed to find 3 other stranded adults her age and got all of them safely to Columbus. The stories she has accumulated from her young age of traveling is amazing.

Jena told me I should consider doing a tour, and they look like a lot of fun. Maybe some day soon.

Thanks again for your willingness to meet and care for these girls. Your love of life and the Lord shows on your blog. Jena was definitely impressed with you as an individual.

Anonymous said...

Well, Debbie, I saw the pics... all of them... via slide show. What an amazing life experience. What a glorious way to see those southern states up close and personal. My hat is off to you. Wow. Christine