Sunday, April 13, 2008

I've arrived in Louisiana!

Yesterday (Saturday) we rode our bikes 93 miles from Kountz, TX to DeRidder, LA. It was a flat easy, long ride with some headwinds, but mostly nice riding. The highlights of the day for me included a stop at a small cafe called Elijah's in one of the small town's that we rode through. It was true "Southern-style" in that iced tea is called "sweet tea"--and it is sweet! It was so wonderfully refreshing that I downed 4 tall glasses during my meal. I figured that I had enough sugar to give me a super boost for the rest of the ride. I also had reason to make more stops :-)



After lunch we crossed the Sabine River and entered Louisiana. As we exited Texas we came across Texas State sign on the opposite side of the road, and it was perfect for picture taking opportunities. I'll try to post pictures soon for you to see.



I quickly realized that I was in Louisiana when I began to see that the predominate road kill was armadillo. They are nasty looking and smelly when they ripen on the road! Yuch! Also, I remember the mud towers from the crawfish seen all along the grassy yards that we rode by.



As I rode along toward DeRidder, I chuckled thinking about the fact that I had ridden my bike from San Diego to Lousianna. I left Lousianna in 1992, and never in a million years would have dreamed that the next time I saw it would be from the seat of a bicycle. It was so fun when we got to our hotel in DeRidder because a woman named Linda who did the tour last year was there to greet us. She lives in Lake Charles (where Dan and I lived for 1 year), and brought everyone MardiGras beads and some great gumbo and pralines! What a welcome.

No comments: