Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I'm Back! No April's Fool Joke!

Hello! Today is April 1, and we have just arrived at CampWood, TX. If you wondered why I haven't been posting to my blog, the reason is that hotel computers have been non-exixtent since we left El Paso. As a matter of fact, there have been motels that have not even had water when we arrived! That was in Van Horn, TX. The riding has been good. We have been on a lot of highways that have very course chip seal, which makes riding very difficult.

So, a few highlights of the last week include the ride from Sanderson, TX to Del Rio, TX. It was a 110 mile day, which is significantly long in and of itself. Add to that the weather was a slight misty rain at the start for about the first 40 miles. Then it dried out and just got hot. Then the roads began to get rougher with the chip seal just before lunch. We had a lunch break at 60 miles, and I was feeling terribly tired--to the point of not being able to eat and fuel properly. The winds began to pick up (strong headwinds!), and the hills began to get tougher. I flagged down our SAG driver and got a lift for 10 miles, some fuel and water and a brief rest. Then I decided to ride the rest of the way in, barely making the 100 mile mark by the time I arrived at the hotel. It was the hardest, longest century ride I have ever done! For many of the women, it was the first time they had ever done a century ride, and it was quite an accomplishment. We were one very tired, beat group--glad to get to bed early.

We are now out of the dry, desert part of TX and have come into warm, humid weather. Today's ride from Brackettville to CampWood started in a mist, then warmed to hot and humid. We crossed the Nueces River, and many took the opportunity to jump into the water and get cooled off. I enjoyed getting my feet in the water at least.

I hear that the wildflowers ahead are supposed to be beautiful. For now, it is time to get ready for a hilly ride tomorrow into Kerrville, TX and our next layover day. I'm still dreading the hills, but am more prepared to just take them slow and easy. We have now reached the half way point of the ride, and have settled into quite a routine of riding, eating, sleeping, riding, etc. I may need to have time for re-entry when I get back home! God Bless, All!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! DRIVING 100 miles tires me out, can't imagine doing it on a bike. Go Deb, GO! Del Rio, TX. That rings a bell from my childhood growing up in Oklahoma. I'd go to sleep of a night listening to XERF-Del Rio, Texas. As best I recall, it had a lot of 'cowboy' songs on it. One week Roy Rogers would be my favorite and then the next it'd be Gene Autry with his 'Back In The Saddle Again'. Sigh! Seems like just yesterday!! And there you are, visiting the town of some of my young heart throbs. Glad to hear you are listening to your body and know when to take a break. We want you back in top form. In case you haven't noticed, you've taken a lot of us along with you!! Hugs, Tina