Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Navasota, TX April 9

We have arrived in Navasota, TX for another rest day. We will be in Texas only two more days and then we arrive in DeRidder, Lousianna on the 12th. Texas is a very big state, and I know it first hand now after biking across it!

Today I was able to visit with my Uncle Bud (James) and Aunt Mary Jane and their son-in-law, Gama. It was a great time to visit with them, and they enjoyed seeing what these amazing ladies are doing. Tomorrow, my cousin Margaret Ann will drive up and join me for dinner when I arrive in Cleveland, Texas.

Yesterday's ride took us through some of the prettiest country that we have seen in Texas, as there were lots of wildflowers in bloom, and lots of big oak trees. The Texans are very proud of their Blue Bonnets and talk about them a lot. It was a very warm and humid day with temperatures in the high 80's. That is hard to fathom when the weather back home in Lynden is still cold and wet. We rode 70 miles yesterday, and it is hard to believe how we all just do this like it is no big deal. We have all gotten stronger (and thinner!). We have also all managed to get some very funny tan lines.

It is hard to believe that we have been on the road so long, and that we only have about 3 weeks until we reach our destination in Florida. As much as I am looking forward to getting home, I am wondering about how hard it's going to be to say goodbye to all my new friends, and leave this life of eating, riding and sleeping. It has been quite the experience!

No comments: