Saturday, April 26, 2008

Wakulla Springs Ride on Saturday

Greetings from Wakulla Springs, Florida. Today's ride took us along some very fast, fun rodes along SR 267 in Florida. After the first SAG stop, Hanna, Mary and I took off toward the State Park that was an option on our ride today. We had fun as Hanna pushed the pace, and we fell into a pace line, "peleton style". Sue tried to catch us and came close, but never could because of the advantage we had of drafting. It made for some great laughs at the next stop as Sue came up panting hard from her efforts.

Our ride had the option today of going to Wakulla Springs State Park. This was a wonderful park that had a 45 minute boat ride where we saw lots of alligators, turtles, fish, and birds. The boat looked a lot like the boats in the Jungle Ride at Disneyland--and it was a lot like it, only real! I kept expecting to see the hippopotamas come up to attack us! Ha! Others took advantage of the opportunity to swim in the COLD spring waters, and jump from the high dive. Since it was a short ride today we had lots of time to play.

I should tell you, too, that I have now had my second and third flat on the road today. My first flat on the road came a few days back as I was almost into Florida. Then today my tire was flat when I got off the boat ride. I replaced the tube with my spare, which had been patched earlier. Later, I hit a rock and the patch didn't hold because it was so warm. I have been told that they don't bother to patch tires here for that very reason--they don't hold in the heat!

Tomorrow is a layover day--the last of our trip. We have just four riding days left. It's hard to believe the ride is almost over, and I keep asking myself if I really rode my bike all the way from San Diego to here. It's a funny feeling. I'm looking forward to being home next Friday night. I will try to get my pictures sorted and posted as soon as I can after getting home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are still in good shape after all those miles. 3 flats on the road ... if only you had that average per mile back here in Whatcom county. Looking forward to seeing you Friday!
Dan

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
Wow, 2 flats in the same day! We hope that your legacy won't catch up to you prior to Thursday...

We are both so proud of your accomplishments to have pushed your way across our great nation to this point. We're praying for these remaining miles to be very special ones and most memorable with those gals (not the rattlesnakes!) you've become so close with.

We know that this time has been (and will continue to be...) used by God to sow His refreshing into your heart, and preparation for the season of ministry that he has for you ahead.

We're cheering you on toward VICTORY at the Atlantic!

Doug & Terry