Thursday, March 20, 2008

Now in Silver City, New Mexico



Yesterday's ride took us up over the Continental Divide and into Silver City, New Mexico. It was only a 46 mile ride, but was so hilly, it was a very challenging ride. The climb out of Lordsburg was so gradual that it was deceiving. We then entered a mountainous area with steep, steady climbs. The fun part of the trip up was that my cousin Karen was driving to Silver City, and found me amidst the other bikers on the road, so she pulled over, took my picture and cheered me on. Then she drove up farther and waited for me to reach the Continental Divide, where there were lots of riders and photo ops.
The ride into Silver City continued to climb, with our total climb being over 3500 feet. Silver City is a town that has a lot of memories for me, as my Aunt Modeen and Uncle Carroll live here, and we visited here often during my childhood. Besides that, there are lots of cute shops, and places to explore today on our day off. I'm looking forward to going downtown today, and then going out to a favorite place called the City of Rocks. It has lots of fun rock formations that make for interesting exploring and hiking.
Tomorrow promises to be another great climb when we go over Emory Pass at about 8000 feet elevation, and probably about 3000 feet of total climbing. So, pray for me! I am not fond of climbing, but can do it. It is hard work for me, but feels like such an accomplishment when it is done.

No comments: