Friday, March 21, 2008

We've reached the highpoint!

Today we left Silver City, New Mexico, and headed for the little town of Kingston, past the "Kneeling Nun" rock formation, past copper mines, and up the mountain. The views were spectacular and the climb was challenging (a major understatement!!). We had a 40 mile climb up to Emory Pass, at 8225 feet elevation--the highest point of our tour. Let me just say, I found it quite challenging, at one point was wondering if I could complete the ride. I heard later that we were on some 10% grades and climbed a total of 4700 feet. Of course, what goes up--must come down. We had an 8 mile downhill ride into the tiny little town of Kingston, where we are being housed at Black Mountain Ranch Lodge. The view at the top of the pass was very rewarding. You could see all down the valley into Kingston.

Tomorrow, we have one of our longer rides--88 miles into Las Cruces. Hopefully, there will not be hills :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HiDeb~ You must sleep well each night. What a challenging grind in elevation-an inspiration to read of your venture! Today is sunny and windy so my bike will stay put, but the yard will be my haven as I tackle the winter neglect. Today I will pray for your groups's encouragement and to be salt (as you sweat together)and light. Last night's Good Friday service was ideal-full house too. Dan has advised me in blog-comments-Connie B.sends her love and hugs! We will hike and bike this summer-ok? He is Risen!

Debbie said...

He is risen indeed!