Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saturday, March 15 Phoenix to Apache Junction

We arrived in Phoenix yesterday from Wickenburg. It was a very fast (17 mph average), very fun ride, with lots of downhill. We found ourselves stopping often to take in the scenery, as the desert bloom was in full swing. I got a kick out of the ladies who were from the East Coast wanting their pictures by the big Saguaro cacti. It was lots of fun, and we stopped often.

I veerred off of the official route for our group so that I could go visit several old "haunts" including our Kristal Way house, Northwest Community Church, and a few other places. There was a lot more traffic in Phoenix than I remember from 15 years ago, and it was interesting trying to navigate the busy streets on a bike. I later met up with my dear friend, Theresa, and she and I went to lunch at Valle Luna--a favorite Mexi place. Then we went to her house where we visited for the afternoon, and I got to love on her wiener dogs. Sorry Chico.

That evening there was a reunion of many students who were in our ministry years ago, so I got to see many old friends. What fun it was.

Today, we are off to Apache Junction and then Sunday we ride to Globe Arizona. The weather forecast is for rain and possible snow flurries going over the mountain pass. How nice that it just happens to be my day to drive the SAG wagon. I imagine I will be very busy shuttling riders out of the rain to the next destination.

Well, stay tuned. I'll try to post more pictures tonight when I get in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So fun to read about your adventures! from cactus to snow ... Wow! Know that we are praying :)
Sue and Duane H

Anonymous said...

Deb: I'm so glad you were able to reconnect with so many of our great Phoenix friends of the 1980s. Those were such amazing years in our lives!
Love ya, Dan

samuel joseph smythe said...

yay for valle luna! sounds like you had a blast in Phoenix. Did you go to sandra terrace as well?

Shannon said...

I want to see your Phoenix pix!!!!! And what I wouldn't give for some Valle Luna right now!!!