Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tuesday--March 11 Blythe, California

Greetings all. Today is our first layover day, so I have a chance to catch up with my blog. The rest is appreciated since we biked 90 miles across the California desert starting in Brawley yesterday morning. It was a very enjoyable journey in the early part of the morning, cool, crisp, sunny, and still. The sun was just coming up in the east (in our eyes) when we left, riding through green fields of whatever it was they are growing out there. We soon left that little oasis for sandy, scrub brush desert landscape, with straight, flat road for miles ahead.

The hard part of the day came about 31 miles into the ride, as we began a gradual climb into a stiff headwind. Fortunately, the lunch stop was at 40 miles where our WomanTours trailer and traveling cook had set up a little picnic lunch for us. It was a welcome respite. After eating, I headed out on my own over a 9 mile section of rolling dunes on a narrow two lane road with very little shoulder. I prayed a lot in this section, and was grateful for God's protection several times when wide loads passed me.

Soon I caught a tailwind, and enjoyed many miles just flying along at 20 to 22 mph! That was fun! I caught up with some friends, and enjoyed the comraderie and sillyness that made the last tiring part bearable. It's great to encourage each other along the way, and also hear the stories of the other women's lives.

Many women gave up after lunch and opted to ride the SAG into Blythe, but my group of about 6 gals all bunched up and rode in together, the first of the riders to complete the entire 90 miles that day. We all continued the sillyness by quickly getting into our swim suits and cannon ball jumping into the ICE COLD pool! What a rush! The we made a dash for the warm jacuzzi and back and forth several times. It was very invigorating after the long ride.

I'm having trouble getting my pictures on the blog since I don't have my own computer, but if you link from my page to "Arda's Ride" --click on the link on the right side of this page, she has lots of photos posted, and I am in a few. I'll try to get some pictures posted soon.

Love you all. Thanks for your prayers. I felt strong for our first really big day yesterday, and I know it was the Lord giving me strength and joy as I rode. Blessings all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the cannonballs! I'm willing to bet that the cannonballs were your idea! Keep praying around those big loads on narrow roads. You're constantly on my mind.